Ikona BIP Ikona Portal Pracownika Ikona poczty Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Linkedin RSS Ikona szukania PLEN

Four years have passed

The Zofiówka Section commemorated the 5 miners who died 4 years ago 900 meters underground as a result of a strong tremor.

photo: Dawid Lach

Flowers were laid by the President of the Management Board of Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa, trade union representatives, and the mine's authorities before a plaque commemorating those events, which is located in the mine pithead.

- We recently lost 10 colleagues here again. There are no words to describe the sorrow and sadness at the situation we are now in - said Tomasz Cudny, President of the Management Board of Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa. - JSW together with the entire scientific community recognizes this hazard. Practically every day we work on methods that will make it possible to predict such events, but today nature has an advantage over us - added JSW President.

Two and a half thousand people took part in the operation, which lasted several days. So far, it has been considered one of the most difficult in the history of Polish mining.

- Today's meeting is a symbol of solidarity with the victims, their loved ones and families. I assure you that you are not alone - said Tomasz Cudny.

On 5 May 2018, after the tremor, the roadway turned into one big pile of rubble and its height was only one meter. Seven miners were trapped 900 meters underground. Two were rescued while five perished.  In addition to huge damages caused by the tremor, the rescue campaign was hindered by high temperature, lack of oxygen, methane and flooding. 

Other news

JSW is a leader in methane emissions reduction technologies

Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa is implementing a series of projects and capital expenditure programs aimed at increasing methane capture and utilization. The total capital expenditures dedicated to reducing methane emissions and generating energy from captured gas exceeded…

JSW Group’s results in Q1

JSW Group closed the first quarter of 2026 recording a net loss of PLN 615.9 million. EBITDA for the three-month period net of non-recurring events was negative and stood at PLN 192.4 million.

The Supervisory Board has appointed the JSW SA Management Board for its 12th term of office

On 14 May 2026, the Supervisory Board of Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa adopted resolutions appointing the Company’s Management Board for its 12th term of office. Bogusław Oleksy has been appointed President of the Management Board. Tomasz Gawlik will assume the role of…

Internet broadcast of the results of the JSW Capital Group for the first quarter of 2026 year

The Management Board of Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa S.A. has the pleasure of inviting you to watch the Internet broadcast of the financial results of the JSW Group for the first quarter of 2026 year which will take place on May 19, 2026 (Tuesday) at 10:00 (CET).

President of Poland signs an amendment important for JSW

President Karol Nawrocki signed an amendment to the Act on the System of Development Institutions, which will enable the Industrial Development Agency (ARP) to grant loans to strategic enterprises, primarily Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa. The new regulations are intended…

JSW Group announces its financial results for 2025

In 2025, the JSW Group increased its production of coking coal and coke compared to the previous year. At the same time, JSW continued to operate in a challenging market environment. The coking coal market was a “buyer's market” characterized by ample supply of the raw…

More news